Other streaming options are also available, but require either web browser plugins or desktop player applications. If you are having trouble accessing the WFMT stream from these other streaming options, it may be due to your computer’s media file preference settings, a web browser plugin issue, or a media player compatibility issue. Please note: you must have the Adobe Flash Player, WinAmp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, or RealPlayer installed on your computer in order to access these other streaming options. Visit the websites below for detailed installation, set-up and upgrade instructions for the media player you have chosen.
AAC-LC is the crispest audio compression format and is utilized by prominent streaming networks such as NPR and the BBC. The recommended players for the AAC-LC stream include the WFMT streaming player, WinAmp, and ITunes. The WFMT streaming player AAC-LC stream is delivered at bit rates from 64kbps to 256kbps, depending on the available bandwidth of your internet connection. The WinAmp and ITunes AAC-LC streams are available at 128kbps.
The MP3 format is the most widely adopted internet streaming format and plays in a variety of player types: the WFMT Premium Music player, the Windows Media Player, iTunes, and RealPlayer. The WFMT MP3 stream is available at a bit rate of 128kbps.
You may also select the “More Formats” button below the WFMT live stream player to access 128kbps MP3 and AAC-LC streams formatted for use in media players: WinAmp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, or RealPlayer. Please note that you may have a default player setting on your computer that will override your own selection of how you’d like to listen to the stream. These default settings can be changed by accessing your operating system preferences or options.
If you find that your router, gateway, or firewall prohibits launching the streaming player of your choice on the “More Formats” web page, you can use the following URLs to manually program your device:
- TuneIn Radio
- iTunes Internet Radio
- WindowsMedia Radio Tuner
**Please note: WFMT does not control the playlists listed on third party websites. Any problems encountered when using these websites are the responsibility of the individual website and must be addressed by that website’s support resources.
- Look for a long number above your name on the address box on the cover of your Guide.
- Look above your name and address on a piece of mail you’ve received from 98.7WFMT.
- Call WFMT Member Services at (773) 279-2020 (M-F, 9 am to 5 pm CT). They will happy to look up your ID Number for you.
- Make sure that a media player is installed on your computer. You can download one for FREE by clicking the links at the top of this page. Once your media player of choice is installed, restart your computer and try again.
- If your media player opens when clicking on a live stream link but you still can’t hear anything, confirm your speakers are on and the volume is turned up.
- If clicking on the link doesn’t automatically open a media player, then copy and paste the URL into the location bar of your player.
- If you are listening at work, your company may have a “firewall” enabled to securely protect its internal data or there are settings on your browser or computer that won’t allow external data to be fed to you. If this is the case, please contact your IT department.
- If you are using a computer that is not connected to a firewall, consult the support documentation related to file type associations. This documentation can be found on your operating system’s website or in “Help” on your computer.
Also, playing the WFMT live stream through the WFMT popup player (via the Listen Live button) for an extended period may fill your browser’s cache and cause the stream to buffer or stop. This can be remedied by clearing your browser cache. For help in clearing your browser cache, please follow these instructions.