The IRA charitable rollover can benefit you in your philanthropy. Direct gifts to WTTW and WFMT from your annual IRA distribution can:
- Be an easy and convenient way to make a gift from one of your major assets.
- Be excluded from your gross income: a tax-free rollover.
- Count toward your required minimum distribution.
You may contribute funds this way if:
- You are age 70½ or older at the time of the gift.
- You transfer up to $100,000 directly from your IRA. This opportunity applies only to IRAs and not other types of retirement plans.
- You transfer the funds outright to one or more qualified charities. The legislation does not permit direct transfers to charitable trusts, donor advised funds, charitable gift annuities or supporting organizations.
- You make your gift by December 31 for the gift to qualify this year.
Please note: If you write a check from an IRA account checkbook directly to a qualified charity, the donation will count as part of your required minimum distribution on the date the check clears your IRA account. Please allow ample time for the check to be deposited by WFMT and processed by your bank.
To make a direct gift to WTTW and WFMT from your retirement account, contact your IRA administrator.
- You can easily reach out to your IRA administrator with all of the necessary information to give a gift by using our IRA Charitable Gift Request form. Your administrator may need the following information to complete your gift:
WTTW and WFMT
5400 North St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
- To inform us that you have requested a gift be made from your IRA or to give us instructions on how to allocate your gift, you may use our IRA Charitable Gift Notification form.
You can also make WFMT a part of your estate plan by naming us as a beneficiary of your IRA or other retirement account.
To learn more about supporting WTTW with your IRA or retirement plan, please check out this list of FAQs, or contact the Planned Giving Department at (773) 509-5553 or [email protected].