Hailed by Opera News as “one of today’s most astonishing artists,” Barbara Hannigan conducts the Radio France Philharmonic Orchestra in Stravinsky’s Pulcinella with vocal soloists from her Equilibrium Young Artists program and excerpts from Offenbach’s ballet Gaite Parisienne. Hannigan also does double-duty as soprano soloist and conductor in works by Kurt Weill. With commentary on the program and featured artists by Barbara Hannigan recorded exclusively for WFMT.
Watch Barbara Hannigan lead the Radio France Philharmonic Orchestra in Kurt Weill’s Lost in the Stars below.
This concert from the Philharmonie de Paris was recorded on May 28, 2021 and is made available through WFMT’s association with the European Broadcasting Union.
Igor Stravinsky: Pulcinella Ballet in one act after Pergolesi, for soprano, tenor, bass and orchestra
Julia Dawson, mezzo-soprano Ziad Nehme, tenor Douglas Williams, bass-baritone Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France Barbara Hannigan, conductor
Jacques Offenbach, arr. Manuel Rosenthal: Excerpts from Gaîté parisienne
1. Allegro brillante (from Mesdames de la Halle)
2. Polka (from Le Voyage dans la Lune)
8. Valse lente (from Orphée aux enfers)
10. Valse moderato (from La Belle Hélène)
11. Vivo (from La Vie parisienne)
23. Barcarolle (from Les Contes d’Hoffmann)
15. Allegro (Manuel Rosenthal)
16. Cancan (from Orphée aux enfers and Robinson Crusoé)
20. Allegro (from Orphée aux enfers)
21. Allegro (from Orphée aux enfers)
22. Vivo (from Orphée aux enfers)
Julia Dawson, mezzo-soprano Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France Barbara Hannigan, soprano andconductor
Kurt Weill: Youkali Weill: Lost in the the Stars (encore)
Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France Barbara Hannigan, soprano andconductor
From Hannigan’s Grammy Award-winning album Crazy Girl Crazy George Gershwin, arr. Bill Elliot: Girl Crazy Suite
Barbara Hannigan, soprano andconductor Crazy Girl Crazy