The nominees for the 95th Academy Awards were announced on January 24, 2023. The film Everything Everywhere All at Once leads the Oscars field with 11 nominations total, including Best Picture, Best Directing, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Original Screenplay.
Music-set films Elvis and Tár also fared well, landing eight and seven nominations respectively.
John Williams has once again made his mark on film history. The illustrious film composer received his 53rd Oscar nomination with his nod for Best Original Score for The Fabelmans, a film by longtime collaborator Steven Spielberg. Williams has long held the record for living person with the most Oscar nominations, and with this nomination, Williams also becomes the oldest person ever to have been nominated for a competitive Oscar at age 90. He will be 91 years old when the ceremony takes place in March.
But EEAAO also scored (ahem) a nod for original music and an original song. We’ll highlight the music and sound-focused categories of this latest crop of Oscar nominees, but for a full list of nominations, visit hollywoodreporter.com. The Academy Awards will take place on March 12, 2023.
Best Original Score
- All Quiet on the Western Front by Volker Bertelmann
- Babylon by Justin Hurwitz
- The Banshees of Inisherin by Carter Burwell
- Everything Everywhere All at Once by Son Lux
- The Fabelmans by John Williams
Best Original Song
- “Applause” from Tell It Like a Woman; Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
- “Hold My Hand” from Top Gun: Maverick; Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga and BloodPop
- “Lift Me Up” from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever; Music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; Lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler
- “Naatu Naatu” from RRR; Music by M.M. Keeravaani; Lyric by Chandrabose
- “This Is a Life” from Everything Everywhere All at Once; Music by Ryan Lott, David Byrne and Mitski; Lyric by Ryan Lott and David Byrne
- All Quiet on the Western Front — Viktor Prásil, Frank Kruse, Markus Stemler, Lars Ginzel and Stefan Korte
- Avatar: The Way of Water — Julian Howarth, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, Dick Bernstein, Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers and Michael Hedges
- The Batman — Stuart Wilson, William Files, Douglas Murray and Andy Nelson
- Elvis — David Lee, Wayne Pashley, Andy Nelson and Michael Keller
- Top Gun: Maverick — Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon and Mark Taylor