The Chicago Symphony Orchestra today announced the cancellation of all 2020-21 season programs from April 1 to June 13, 2021, extending cancellations that had been announced previously. The cancellation is in accordance with the state and city’s safety guidelines around the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the statement says. Plans for the 2021-22 season are still pending, the statement shared, and will be announced later this spring.
Without live, in-person concerts, the CSO will turn to its digital platform, CSOtv, to release free and premium video content. Part of the CSOtv offerings is the orchestra’s new, free podcast, interMISSION @ the CSO, a series of conversations with CSO musicians that will continue despite the season cancellation. From the CSO’s Archives: The First 130 Years and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Radio Broadcast Series, the orchestra’s two weekly broadcast series on WFMT, will continue.
The announcement quotes the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association president Jeff Alexander, who said, “As the conditions of the pandemic evolve, we continue to follow the guidance of public health officials to ensure the health and safety of our patrons, musicians, guest artists and staff… We remain focused on preparations that allow Maestro Muti and the Orchestra to come together to make music and to welcome audiences again to Symphony Center when it is safe to do so.”
Patrons with tickets to now-canceled concerts will automatically have the value of their tickets placed on their account, the announcements states, and will have the option to keep that value for future purchases or convert the value into a donation for the orchestra’s Music Ahead fund. Visit cso.org, call 312-294-3000, or email [email protected] to review these options.