On Introductions this week, a veritable menagerie and miscellany of groups! Hailing from the Music Institute of Chicago Academy, Victor J. Andrew High School and Chicago Musical Pathways Initiative, today’s episode has music from the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. We’ll hear seventeen teenage musicians across five groups – some playing in more than one group.
Many of today’s performers have appeared on Introductions in the past:
– Esme Arias-Kim gave a solo recital in November 2020 and also appeared in August 2020, May 2020 and October 2016.
– Isabel Chen gave a solo recital in July 2021, and performed with chamber groups in August 2020 and June 2019.
– Sidney Lee played with a piano quartet in June 2020.
– Mia Wimbiscus gave a live solo recital in September 2019 and played with a string quartet in August 2020.
– Myroslav Mykhailenko gave a solo recital in November 2019; and appeared with Trio Domino in July 2020 and June 2019.
– Sameer Agrawal appeared live as a soloist in December 2019 and with a string quartet in August 2020.
– Kelly Kim appeared with the Infini Quartet in August 2020.
– Amelia Zitoun performed with the Aurora Piano Quartet in June 2020.
– Ella Saputra delivered a solo recital in February 2021 and played first violin with the Ardente String Quartet in August 2021 and August 2020.
– Jonathan Miller appeared live as a soloist in December 2019 and is due to be featured as a composer in September 2021.
Additionally, the Zephyr String Quartet and SQT were part of a Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition episode in May 2021.
Franz Joseph Haydn: String Quartet in F-sharp minor, Op. 50:
Antonín Dvořák: String Quartet No. 10 in E-Flat, Op. 51:
I. Allegro ma non troppo
Performed by the Zephyr String Quartet:
Esme Arias-Kim, 15, violin
Isabel Chen, 18, violin
Sidney Lee, 17, viola
Mia Wimbiscus, 17, cello
Coached by Rodolfo Vieira through the Music Institute of Chicago Academy.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Quartet No. 2 in E‐flat Major, K. 493:
Johannes Brahms: Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, Op. 25:
IV. Finale, “Rondo alla zingarese”
Performed by the Salice Piano Quartet:
Carrie Wang, 16, violin
Angelica She, 17, viola
Ma’ayan Kertcher, 16, cello
Myroslav Mykhailenko, 17, piano
Coached by Claudia Lasareff-Mironoff and Mark George through the Music Institute of Chicago Academy.
Dmitri Shostakovich: String Quartet No. 3 in F, Op. 73:
III. Allegro non troppo
Performed by Quartet Celeste:
Sameer Agrawal, 16, violin
Hannah Ding, 15, violin
Kelly Kim, 17, viola
Amelia Zitoun, 15, cello
Coached by Jasmine Lin through the Music Institute of Chicago Academy.
Jacques Ibert arr. Matt Fowler: Cinq pièces en trio:
Georges Auric arr. Matt Fowler: Trio for oboe, clarinet and bassoon:
Performed by SQT:
Alex Procajlo, 16, soprano saxophone
Zach Solomon, 15, alto saxophone
Evan Stanton, 18, bari saxophone
Coached by Bryan Polacek through Victor J. Andrew High School, Tinley Park.
Jessie Montgomery: Strum
Performed by the CMPI String Quartet:
Esme Arias-Kim, 15, violin
Ella Saputra, 16, violin
Sameer Agrawal, 16, viola
Jonathan Miller, 15, cello
Coached by Sang Mee Lee through Chicago Musical Pathways Initiative.
Some music is not included in the podcast version for copyright reasons.